For most of the day, four trains per hour run between Clapton and Tottenham Hale stations in each direction. The journey takes under five minutes. The only problem is the trains don't stop at Clapton.
Despite being just a short distance apart across the marsh, getting between E5 and N15 by rail takes at least 25 minutes and involves changing either at Hackney Downs or Walthamstow.
Making the journey by road is no faster or easier - the main roads around Clapton are some of the most congested with traffic and there are no direct bus routes.
Ben Mathis, the Lib Dem candidate for Hackney North & Stoke Newington is calling on the rail operator, Abellio Greater Anglia, to stop the Broxbourne and Hertford East services additionally at Clapton, providing a fast regular connection from the East of Hackney to Tottenham Hale and the Lea Valley.
- Speed up local journeys to access shopping and leisure facilities.
- Reduce unnecessary car journeys that cause pollution and congestion
- Give local people access to jobs at the forthcoming Meridian Water development
- Avoid passengers having to change at busy stations at Hackney Downs and Walthamstow
- Add extra services between Clapton and Liverpool Street
At little or no extra cost, we could add a new connection to the local transport network which would save time, improve the local environment and encourage usage of public transport.