Almost one fire a day is being caused by faulty white goods such as washing machines, tumble dryers and fridges in London, figures uncovered by the Liberal Democrats have revealed.
In total 835 fires in the past three years in London have been caused by faulty white goods, responses to a Freedom of Information requests from the London Fire Brigade has shown.
London was the area with fourth highest number of fires caused by faulty appliances after Greater Manchester (2,888), Scotland (1,180) and Surrey (1,048).
The Liberal Democrats have called for an urgent review of current standards and for landlords and councils to be required by law to carry out regular electrical safety checks.
Liberal Democrat Parliamentary Spokesperson for Hackney South and Shoreditch, Dave Raval said:
"These shocking figures expose the threat posed by faulty everyday appliances, from fridges to tumble dryers.
“People could be sitting with death traps in their homes.
“The government urgently needs to act to prevent a repeat of the Grenfell tragedy.
“We need a full review of current standards and tougher measures to ensure all potentially lethal white goods are recalled and the Hackney Lib Dems fully support the London Fire Brigade's Total Recalls campaign.
“Landlords and councils should also be required by law to carry out regular electrical safety checks, as is the case for gas.”